The Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce is accredited with a 5-Star rating from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for our efforts to improve the local business environment through membership services, political advocacy, and educational initiatives. Our number one goal is to help area businesses of all sizes to grow and prosper.
We offer our 700 members exposure in the community, a strong networking base and opportunities for professional development. Please browse our website to learn more about recent and upcoming programs and to find out how the Chamber can serve your personal and professional needs.
The vision of the Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce is an energized region with a vibrant, profitable business community.
The mission of the Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce is to serve our members and improve the business environment by providing leadership, products, programs and services which promote the success of our members.
The Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce was formed in July 2001 through a merger of the former Danville Area Chamber of Commerce and Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce.
Merger discussions began in May 2000 after the two Chambers had sponsored joint programs for a number of years and shared a similar membership base. In May 2001, the membership of the two Chambers overwhelmingly voted to merge. July 1, 2001 saw the birth of the new Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce.
As part of the merger agreement, the memberships of the two former Chambers voted to locate the main office in Blairs with a branch office in Danville and potential future satellite offices in northern Pittsylvania County. On August 24, 2004, the Chamber held a groundbreaking ceremony for the building of our current location in Blairs.
The Chamber maintained a branch office in Danville until December 2013. From August 2006 - May 2013, the Chamber maintained a satellite office at 101 Center Street in Gretna.
The Danville Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1894 as the Commercial Association, Inc. In 1897, the Business Men’s Association, a similar organization, was founded to “promote the business interests of Danville.” Whether known as the Commercial Association, the Business Men’s Association, or the Danville Chamber of Commerce since 1915, the organization remained an independent, private, non-profit organization run by the membership through an elected Board of Directors.
The Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce was formed by the consolidation of the former Chatham Chamber of Commerce and Gretna Chamber of Commerce in 1981. Until 1989, the Chamber’s offices and staff also provided the support for the Pittsylvania Economic Development Organization. At that time, both organizations had experienced significant growth, which dictated their need for separate offices and staff. During its 20-year history, the county Chamber grew from 85 members to approximately 400 members.